DS Armstrong in his DS hat and badge.

2.20.2009


TJ is preparing to graduate March 12, 2009 from Drill Sergeant school at Fort Jackson, SC. I will be flying down to watch him hit yet another milestone in his Army career. As I sit here writing, thoughts of when I was in basic training enter my mind. I remember having so much respect and admiration for my drill sergeants. There were so determined and dedicated. I could only imagine how difficult their life was due to their long exhausting days. Now, here I am today starting a life with a drill sergeant! I guess I will know exactly what they go through now. I know our schedule will be hectic and busy for the first few years, but I wouldn't take this opportunity away from TJ for anything. He was determined to do anything and everything he could to get this opportunity to wear the hat and train Soldiers. In Qatar one morning, after I had been there a couple weeks, our command team went on a run. It had been awhile since I ran in formation and I was not too excited as it is hard to stay in step. Anyway, TJ got out there and started calling cadence. I remember looking back thinking....who was that?! I was so motivated and had a great run. I felt like I could have ran forever that morning. I hadn't even met TJ at this point, but I knew that he had in him what most in the Army lack: drive and motivation. A couple days later I told him what a good job he did...but he doesn't remember that. TJ has been an inspiration to me in many ways. We need more people in our forces like him. He gets up every morning and is proud. Now, I am sure your thinking...well, how proud can he be? He gets up and he is humming or singing Army songs. Army, Army, Army....I love the Army. In December, he took leave and after two days he missed putting on the uniform. He has truly found his passion in life. I am so proud of you baby!

0 comments: