3 weeks old

7.16.2009

Almost a whole three weeks has passed by. It took me almost two weeks and my mother visiting to adjust to the feedings and get some good sleep. This week, I feel like a brand new woman. I apologize for the lack of communication these last few weeks. I promise that the pictures will be more frequent now as Imaya is napping on her own.

Imaya has been to the doctor every week since her birth due to losing body weight. She was born at 7 lbs 14 oz. When we left the hospital she was 7 lbs 9 oz, which is normal for a baby to lose weight the first couple days. Then, a week later she was 7 lbs 6 oz. The next week, she was back up to 7 lbs 9 oz. She should have been gaining about an once a day at this point. Needless to say, I was getting concerned. Was she getting enough breast milk? Should I supplement with bottles? Her Dr. recommended I supplement and my doctor gave me a medication to help. However, I held off on both and just tried to eat better. It worked!! Today, Imaya was 8 lbs 4 oz. She gained 8 oz this week. I was so elated to find out that all is well and that we are on schedule with the feedings.

The next hurdle that we overcame over these few weeks was napping/sleeping. Imaya did so well sleeping in the hospital...she woke up every 2 to 3 hours during the day to eat and actually slept 5 hours the second night. However, when we went home it was a totally different Imaya. Only one word explained the new Imaya...colicky. The first week, she was most intense during the night. She would not sleep in her crib and was up almost all night. The second week I figured out that she would sleep on belly on my chest at night. Therefore, her most intense crying spells now were durin the day. After trying a vibrating chair, swing, bassinet, and crib I realized that she just doesn't like to sleep on her back. So, as long as I can sneak her in her bassinet on her tummy, she is good. If I only would have known this earlier. Now, I know that all the baby books DO NOT recommend this...but I guarantee you that when you and I were young we probably slept on our stomach because that is what the doctor recommended back then. I am, however, very cautious and check her religiously as a result of going against advice. I sit here now writing in peace and quiet with my little angel right beside me sleeping...silence...something I took for granted.
dfgdf
Some of Imaya's favorite things:
hanging out with dad before bed
riding in the car
getting her hair washed/head rubbed
stretching for a good 2-3 minutes after a nap
going #1 and #2 on mom and dad
being held, carressed, and carried

0 comments: