Our trip home to ND...

8.27.2009


Imaya is now 6 weeks old and already flying home to ND. I have to say that I was really worried about the flight. I really didn't feel like having a screaming baby on a flight from Springfield to Minneapolis and then Minneapolis to Fargo. I had scheduled her feeding to be exactly about the time that we took off from Springfield. Unfortunately, we were delayed so little peanut was hungry. I started feeding her but didn't want the whole bottle to be gone by the time we took off because I knew the feeding would help her ears. We still had some bottle left and the take of went off with success. She slept the whole flight and we landed with no bottle or pacifier needed. The second flight was a bottle on the way up and nothing on the way down. She did so well. I was so proud of my little angel.

The first night in ND at Grandma and Grandpa Mac's house in Wahpeton, she scooted half way across the crib. When I woke up she had an arm hanging out the side of the crib. I was kind of frightened because there was a little space between the crib and the mattress that she could have wedged herself in. After that night, we had to wedge blankets in the side to protect her. What a little squirt. Already she is moving around! I guess I have to watch her that much closer now.


After the first couple days home I switched her formula from Enfamil Lipil to Parents choice with added starch (generic brand for Enfamil). This formula is for babies who spit up regularly. Imaya has recently begun spitting up more on the new formula than she did with breast milk. The first week she did really well with very little spit up. However, the second week and beyond she was back to the normal spit up routine. At her doctors appointment in the next couple weeks we will visit about possibly changing her formula to a soy-based or lactose free.

Also at this time, I noticed that Imaya stated developing baby achne randomly on her arms and legs as well as millia, which are tiny bumps that appeared all over her face. I hope it doesn't last to long!



After two nights we left Grandma and Grandpa Mac's house in Wahpeton and went to stay with Grandma and Grandpa Elbert in Fargo. I have to say that I especially enjoyed our time in Wahpeton as it was so relaxing sitting out on the deck each day rocking Imaya to sleep while looking out at the golf course.

For sleeping arrangements at Mom's house, she had set up a pack and play for her to sleep in the living room. I was still too nervous to leave her alone sleeping in another room, so I slept in a recliner. To my surprise it was actually pretty comfortable.


The next day, auntie Michelle threw Imaya and I a shower at her house. Imaya got lots and lots of gifts and bonded with many new family and friends. Weston cooked some appetizers and brought them over for us...yummy!

The following night we attended another shower in our honor held in Kindred hosted by Joan Halland and Barb Spiekermeier. Again, Imaya received too many gifts and enjoyed being. I have a feeling that when we go home she is going to have a difficult time sleeping without someone holding her. If you can spoil a newborn, she is definitely being spoiled!

We also attended a shower for cousin Isabel and Everett. I joked that us three girls once were the life of the party. From cigarettes and beer to baby bottles. We might be mama's now, but we still got it! I love you girls!

We were able to enjoy 4 days at Cormorant Lake with Grandma and Grandpa Elbert. Unfortunately, the weather was cold most of the time. Saturday was the nicest and best day. All Imaya's cousins, Jackson, Gus, and Lillian, were able to come in addition her aunts and uncles, Chad, Shannon, Jeremy, and Donna, were able to spend some time with us at the lake as well. While we were home for the two weeks we went through 2 3/4 cans of formula, 180 wipes, and 100 diapers. I believe she gained close to 2 lbs as well. She left wearing newborn clothes and outgrew them the first week being home. So, now she is in 0-3 months, but I have a feeling that this size will be very short lived!

Imaya's awake time during the day has increased. Some days, she has been up four hours at a time. I am not sure if this is due to new surrounding or getting older, however, this time awake sure does wear me out! She definitely keeps me busy. During her awake times, I often put her in her bouncy chair and play music, sing songs, or just sit and talk away with me. Daddy likes to play music on his laptop before her night time bottle. Imaya isn't yet too fond of toys, but she does enjoy trying to grab onto the rings in her bouncy chair. She will find them and grip them so tight that her knuckles turn white. She is a strong one!

Since Imaya is a tummy sleeper she has been learning to push herself up quite early. I think at two weeks she was already trying to hold her head up. Therefore, now she is able to fully push herself up and have a little bit more control of her head. I used call her "bobble head" because she tried to hard to push herself up but her head was just too big for her arms to hold and her head would bobble uncontrollably everywhere. People can't believe how steady she is already holding her head up. She is going to be strong, just like her daddy.

Four times in ND, Imaya was on her stomach and rolled over to her back. The first time was a fluke, however. We were at grandma McDougall's and Imaya was on her stomach and I think her arm just gave out and she rolled over. Then, about a week later we were at Grandma and Grandpa Mac's house and she rolled over twice. "That's it", Grandpa Mac stated, "we are counting it." We chuckled because Nana (Great Grandma Ethel) said that the first one didn't count or that she wouldn't say that she rolled over. Imaya wanted to prove her wrong and she did!

This time at home, not only gave many friends and family time with Imaya. It also gave her the opportunity to bond with other adults other than her dad and I. In addition, to giving me a welcomed break from the hard work of practically being a single parent due to TJ's demanding schedule. Thank you everyone for everything. We miss you already and hope to see you soon.

1 comments:

Lisa Beth said...

There's some interesting new data about soy formula out there - do a little research before you put her on it. I wish I wouldn't have used it with Wyatt, but it's what the Dr suggested. I don't think the info was out 4 years ago. FYI