The pick-up...

4.16.2009



"cattle truck"

TJ started his first basic training cycle on April 13, 2009. He is attached to D company/148th Infantry Battalion. His company had pick-ups on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. What does this mean do you ask? The pick-up takes place after the reception process, where soldiers fill out all their paperwork and all medical tests are completed. If you have ever been to basic training, you will ALWAYS remember pick-up day. A cattle truck picks the soldiers up from the reception area and brings them to the basic training living area. When I say you get into a cattle truck, I don't mean that you casually get in and get a ride. They call it a cattle truck for only one reason, you are packed in there like cattle with your duffle bag strapped to the front of your body. You couldn't fit one more soldier in there it is so tight! A drill sergeant on board instructed us to look straight forward and keep quite. The ride was quite and peaceful, however, I felt nervous, scared and anxious...anything but a feeling peace. We arrived to our destination and I could hear the doors open and the light shine in. Nobody moved. Then, the yelling began and you knew who was in charge.


"Get off my bus."

"Go over there, line up your bags and get in alphabetical order...move, move, move."

They will give you some ridiculous time period, like 2 minutes, which is like 30 seconds drill sergeant time. It is pretty impossible for 200 knuckle-heads to do this.

"Get down and beat your face." (we got down into the push up position.)

"Down"

"Up"

"Teamwork is the key"

"Down" we repeated "teamwork is the key"

"Up" we repeated "teamwork is the key"

The sweat dripped off our face and began puddling onto the ground. We repeated this process until our arms were no longer able to hold our body up. Then, we were given a chance to redeem ourselves and perform the task as requested. We failed. The process continued. The next few hours was a continuous succession of push-ups, sit-ups, and over the head arm claps in between a greeting sessions, training modules, chow, and more. That night, despite my physical fatigue, I remember lying in my bunk, thoughts rushing through my head, "What did I get myself into?" It was the first time in my life that I felt alone and helpless. I couldn't run to mommy and daddy anymore! Mental toughness is 99% of surviving basic training. The purpose of basic training is to turn you from a civilian to a soldier. For the next nine weeks I was broken down, and built back up.

0 comments: